Freelance Writer/Editor/Project Manager
• Feature articles have been published in The New York Times, Smithsonian, Discover, Audubon, ASCO Daily News, American Archaeology, Hippocrates, Health, Self, Cosmopolitan, Reader’s Digest, Bark and several other publications.
• Write, edit, and manage publishing projects focused on health and environmental issues: web content, annual reports, patient education materials, CME programs, slide decks, social media, feature articles, book chapters, newsletters, technical reports and more.
Clients include American Medical Association, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Society of Nephrology, Covidien, Genentech, Harvard Medical School, The Joint Commission, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, National Association of Science Writers, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Wildlife Federation, Nature (TV), Palo Alto Medical Foundation / Sutter Health, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Forest Service, World Health Organization, medical communication companies, others.
• The Recovery Book: Answers to All Your Questions About Addiction and Alcoholism and Finding Health and Happiness in Sobriety (Workman Publishing)
~ 2015 Outstanding Book Award, American Society of Journalists and Authors ~
Co-author. Complete revision and expansion of best-selling 1992 book. Managed the entire writing and editing project, working with a leading addiction expert, Al J. Mooney, M.D. Set up all online outlets, including website, blog, and social media channels. Designed and implemented a comprehensive social media strategy to build the audience. (TheRecoveryBook.com)
• Annual reports, web content – Palo Alto Medical Foundation / Sutter Health
Editor, 2015 and 2016 PAMF annual reports. Developed story lineup, wrote feature stories and doctor profiles, edited donor lists, and worked closely with designer at all stages of production. Worked with team of writers to revamp all consumer web content for Sutter Health.
• Social media strategy – American Society of Nephrology
Designed and implemented social media strategy to increase ASN’s visibility among journalists, medical students and current members. Developed the ASN interactive site from the ground up using WordPress; developed systems for monitoring and sharing nephrology news daily on social media; trained staff on social media. Wrote blog posts, background materials, editorials, SlideShare presentations, press releases and more. Managed all social media channels during major medical conference, including blog posts, Facebook, Twitter, daily Storify wrap-ups and media relations. See samples.
• Middle Rio Grande Basin Research Report – U.S. Forest Service
Editor, 20-page consumer newsletter on research funded by Forest Service. Developed story list, assigned stories, edited all copy, researched photos, hired and supervised designer.
• Rio Grande Silvery Minnow Recovery Plan – U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Worked with a team of scientists to write a 250-page recovery plan for an endangered species, the Rio Grande silvery minnow. Produced the report in a record nine months.
• Patient education booklets and CME programs – American Medical Association
Wrote guide to depression for patients and family, covering diagnosis, treatment and coping mechanisms; AMA distributed 500,000 copies. Wrote similar booklets on hepatitis C and overactive bladder. Wrote CME programs on chronic bronchitis and hereditary cancer syndromes.
• Marketing materials – Arapahoe/Douglas Mental Health Network
Worked with marketing director on variety of projects, including newsletter, brochures, events, annual reports and social media outreach.
• Monographs, PowerPoint medical education programs – Jespersen & Associates
Wrote various materials about surgical methods and new devices for treating breast cancer and brain tumors. Presentations are used by expert physicians to educate peers.
• Digital patient education programs – Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Developed comprehensive patient education programs on leukemia, breast cancer and nausea.
• Disease management backgrounders – Aegis Creative
Wrote portions of extensive background documents on diseases and drugs (chronic lymphocytic leukemia, thrombosis, Herceptin) to be used as educational tools for sales people.
• Harvard Medical School Family Health Guide – Simon & Schuster
Wrote several chapters, edited physician-written chapters, compiled consumer resource list.
• SPDNetwork.org – The KID Foundation
Managed overhaul of large web site on children’s health. Reorganized the navigational scheme of complex site, rewrote all content, supervised designers and programmers.
• Stroke Progress Review Group Report – National Institutes of Health (NINDS)
Edited report written by 15 medical committees, outlining the future of stroke research. Supervised staff of medical writers during three-day conference of the participating doctors.
Freelance writer/editor/project manager. New York, NY, and Boulder, CO
Adjunct professor, University of Colorado. Boulder, CO
Taught graduate course in environmental journalism.
Council of Editors, Audubon magazine. New York, NY
Working with freelance writers, developed, assigned, and edited articles on environmental issues and natural history. Wrote feature articles and column; worked with graphic artists, photo editors.
Senior writer, Natural Resources Defense Council. New York, NY
Wrote, edited, and produced newsletters, annual reports, brochures and other media, reporting on the work of staff lawyers and scientists. Acted as media contact for headquarters office.
M.A., Journalism and Mass Communication
Certificate, Science, Health and Environmental Reporting
Science, Health and Environmental Reporting Program
Graduate School of Arts and Science
New York University, New York, NY
B.A., Environmental, Population, and Organismic Biology
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
2015 Outstanding Book Award – American Society of Journalists and Authors
Hillier Kreighbaum Award for Outstanding Science Writing – New York University
Project Renew Grant – American Association of University Women
Scholarships: Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity, Scripps Howard Foundation
American Society of Journalists and Authors
Association of Health Care Journalists
Boulder Media Women
National Association of Science Writers
American Society of Journalists and Authors / Board member (former)
Boulder Media Women / Manager, online membership services
Conference on World Affairs, Boulder, CO / Politics and Media committee member
Democratic National Convention, Denver / Press Information Center volunteer
Indian Peaks Wilderness Alliance, Boulder, CO / Wilderness trail patrol
PO Box 4424
Boulder, CO 80306